Features of Outlook Web Access in Exchange 2007
Outlook Web Access Light
Outlook Web Access Light is a less complex version of Outlook Web Access that is designed to work with nearly all Web browsers. In Exchange 2007, Outlook Web Access Light has been improved by adding monitoring of the composition forms as follows:
- Activity is monitored while a user is composing a long entry of any type (such as a message or calendar entry) so that the session does not time out while the user is still typing.
- If the entry is a message, the message is automatically saved in the Drafts folder if the session times out because of inactivity while the message compose form is open.
Outlook Web Access Premium
Outlook Web Access Premium works with Internet Explorer 6 or later versions and has a richer user interface than Outlook Web Access Light. The following features are included in Outlook Web Access Premium:
- Users can create and edit Personal Distribution Lists.
- Users can create and edit server side rules.
- WebReady Document Viewing, a feature that translates an attached document into HTML so that it can be viewed as a Web page, has added extra support for the following Microsoft Office 2007 file formats:
- Word documents: .docx
- Excel worksheets: .xslx
- PowerPoint presentations: .pptx
- Users can access the dumpster from Outlook Web Access and can use the Recover Deleted Items feature.
- Outlook Web Access has a monthly calendar view in addition to the daily and weekly views.
- Move and copy commands have been added to the Outlook Web Access user interface. Users can move or copy folders by using a command in the right-click menu of the folder list. Users can also move or copy individual items in message folders and public folders by right-clicking inside the item list or by clicking an icon on the toolbar.
- The Public Folders features returns and offers the following features:
- Full access to public folders from Outlook Web Access without having to use the /public virtual directory
- Full access to public folders on Exchange 2007 Mailbox servers without having to keep an Exchange 2003 Mailbox server available for Public Folder access from Outlook Web Access
- Public Folder search capabilities
- Support for Web Parts
- S/MIME in Exchange 2007 supports the following:
- Reading signed and encrypted e-mail
- Composing signed and encrypted e-mail
- Using the Options page to configure settings for the S/MIME control after it is installed or reinstalled
- CNG support and Suite-B compliance
- Additional customization features that include the following:
- The ability to integrate with custom message types in the Exchange store so that they are displayed correctly in Outlook Web Access
- The ability to customize the Outlook Web Access user interface to seamlessly integrate custom applications together with Outlook Web Access.
Please contact the HMS IT Help Desk with any questions or concerns you may have by calling 617-432-2000 or filling out an online support request.
Copyright 2013 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College.
Site Updated: 5/17/2013